Egg in a nest. I’m definitely not reinventing the wheel here as egg in a nest has been around forever. I remember making it myself as a girl. I had forgotten about it until just the other day my older son and I were up earlier than the other two in our family. Since we had some time to ourselves I thought it would be fun to make egg in a nest for breakfast. And for a special twist we used a heart cookie cutter instead of the standard glass.
Here’s how we made it:
- Using a glass or a cookie cutter, cut a hole in the middle of a slice of bread (kids can do this part!)
- Butter both sides of the bread if desired.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat.
- Place bread in the skillet. Crack an egg in the hole.
- Cook until egg starts to whiten and bread gets toasty. Flip and cook on the other side until egg is cooked through.
I had forgotten how fun this breakfast is to make and eat. My son really enjoyed the whole process. With Valentine’s Day coming up this would be a fun activity to do with your kids.