What you put ON your body is almost as important as what you put IN your body. Did you know that your skin absorbs 60% of what you put on it? Think about everything you put on your skin every single day.
For me, I use face wash, body wash, face lotion, body lotion, deodorant and slew of cosmetics every morning. Every night I use face wash and face lotion. A couple times a week I use shampoo and conditioner and face scrub. Then there’s eye cream, sunscreen, perfume, face masks, hand lotion and a myriad of other products that find their way to my skin.
As I’ve started to become more conscious about the ingredients of the food I eat, I’ve also started to question what’s in the products I’m slathering all over my biggest organ (my skin!). As a result I’m trying to transition to more natural personal care products. As my old stuff runs out, I replace it with a product that’s natural, or at least more natural that the one I was using before. And as I use these products, I will be posting reviews on them!
First up is soap. I actually started using Kiss My Face Pure Olive Oil Soap over a year ago. I use it primarily for my face right now.
I really, really love this soap for many reasons:
- It’s gentle and moisturizing. It does not dry out my skin.
- It only has 3 ingredients! Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride (salt)
- It’s not tested on animals. From the website: “This product contains no animal ingredients, artificial colors, or unnecessary chemicals and was not tested on animals.”
- The Cosmetics Database gave it a ZERO hazard rating!
- The bar is huge and lasts forever. In the picture above I put a cotton swab next to the soap as reference. In over a year I’ve only gone through 2 bars.
- It’s inexpensive! The large 8oz bar is only $3.99.
Above is a picture of the tiny sliver of my old bar next to the giant new bar I just unwrapped.
Note that the soap will get gummy on the bottom if you don’t have a proper soap dish (that happened to my first bar). I bought the soap holder above at Target for $0.99. It works like a charm and helps the soap last even longer.
I usually buy this soap on Drugstore.com, but I’ve also seen it at Hy-Vee in my area. Target does carry some Kiss My Face products, but I haven’t seen this soap at my local stores. You can probably find it at a health foods or natural foods store and if not, ask them to stock it for you!
If you are wondering if this is something you really should be concered about, please read this page on the Environmental Working Group’s website. They are the group responsible for putting together the Cosmetics Database, which is a great resource for learning more about personal care products.
What is your favorite natural beauty product?