Skip to content

There’s a Cotyledon in My Spinach

March 30, 2010
tags:
by

Last night when I was making salads to go with dinner, I noticed this little leaf in my spinach:

It doesn’t look like the rest of the spinach leaves.  That’s because it’s a cotyledon spinach leaf.  I recognized it from growing spinach last year in the garden.  When spinach plants sprout, their first two leaves are really long and skinny.  They look nothing like the spinach leaves you are used to eating.

I assume that when spinach is grown in huge fields, it’s harvested by a machine that grabs the entire plant, cotyledons and all.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with eating cotyledons.  It’s just another part of the plant.  So if you’ve ever been digging through a container of spinach and found these strange looking leaves, that’s what they are.  I thought it would be fitting to show this picture, since I just posted about cotyledons and true leaves last Sunday.

If I can get spinach to grow in the garden this year, I will post pictures of the spinach cotyledons in action.

By the way, the weather this week in Kansas is gorgeous!  Last night after work, Benzo worked outside cleaning out our front flower bed while I made dinner.  It was so nice to cook dinner with the kitchen window open and a breeze blowing in.  We also ate at the table again.  Hooray for not eating in front of the TV two nights in a row!

After dinner we watched one of the few shows I watch religiously on TV – 24.  I love that show!

Today the temperatures might reach 80 degrees F.  I’m so excited!  I broke out the skirt and bare legs combo for the first time this year.  And I can’t wait to get home tonight and get out to the garden.  Hopefully the seeds we planted last week are sprouting.  And I’d like to plant some more spring crops like peas, kale, collards and spinach.  Finally I need to cut the seed potatoes into chunks to get them ready for planting on Thursday night.

Lots to do in the garden.  How is everyone else’s garden or seeds doing?

About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. March 31, 2010 11:43 am

I’m totally with you on the weather! Last night I got out and gardened some and it was heavenly! It’s a great time to be in the midwest eh?

My fall spinach didn’t survive so I’m doing more hardy greens this year like collards and kale which did really well last year. I also planted lettuce so I should have quite a bit of greens.

2. Fernando permalink
    January 20, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the information. I saw these in my bag of spinach today. I thought it was grass. Threw the bag away. Then I decided to check on the web. Next time I’ll eat those.

3. April permalink
    February 20, 2011 10:58 am

THANK YOU so much for posting this picture! I’m just like Fernando, I was sorting through my spinach for a soup and saw all these “non-spinach” leaves and was thinking of returning it to the store. Then I thought maybe I should check to see if these aren’t really young leaves or some part of the spinach plant since I’ve never grown spinach and have no idea what it looks like outside of the grocery store. So glad I found your picture and site! Thanks!! :-)

4. Troy permalink
    March 1, 2011 10:25 pm

Funny thing is…I am in the process of throwing those funny leaves out of my package of spinach as well and decided to look online to see if I could figure out what those leaves were. My partner told me they resemble the leaves of the oleander plant (which were poisonous) so I didn’t want to take any chances. Glad you showed the picture of the cotyledons because my bag of spinach had a slew of them. Now I can go enjoy my spinach! Thanks!

5. Elly permalink
    April 5, 2013 1:25 pm

Whay the COtyledon of the Spinach rotten faster then the spinach?

6. Emily permalink
    June 23, 2013 3:38 am

I am ALSO extremely thankful that you posted this several years ago. I found heaps of these in my bag of spinach and was worried that I shouldn’t eat them. This is very helpful. Thanks.